Island Market Update
December 14, 2018
We would like to thank you all for your feedback on the 3 designs for the front of the store. Based on the feedback we are making a few more adjustments and going with a 4th option that we feel fits our community the best and provides the best function inside the store. In order to get all of the designs compete and ensure the construction goes as we planned we are going to start construction after next summer and should be complete by Spring 2020. As we progress through the process we will be sharing updates with all of you. We welcome your feedback and look forward to sharing the new space with all of you.
Sign up below so we can share our progress along the way.
Jacob and Jason Linnes
Brief description of the project and goal
This winter we will be updating several key areas of the store including the deli, bakery, coffee bar area along with the front end. To make the changes necessary we are changing the front of the store to offer a new seating along with more space surrounding the checkout for better flow. The goal of this project is to create an easier shopping experience and increase our prepared food offerings and space to sit and enjoy your meal.
Q & A
Every day we get requests and feedback from customers and employees about ways to improve both the shopping experience and employee experience. Here are some of the ideas and solutions:
- Provide more options in the deli that are healthy and made in house.
- We are adding new ovens and cook tops to give our cooks more options to prepare food in house and investing in our kitchen staff with a new training program.
- Make the lines go faster during busy times.
- We are adding a belt system to our registers to increase the speed at checkout and allow us to get new smaller shopping carts with customer unload.
- It’s too crowed near the registers when it’s busy and makes it hard to shop.
- We are moving the registers closer to the front of the store to allow more room between the aisle and registers as well as a new register layout that adds several lanes for busy times. We will also have more quick check registers to support coffee and deli purchases.
- It’s too cold in the store during the winter.
- We are working with an architect to design the front entry to reduce the amount of cold air that leaks into the store as well as adding fans to push warm air down from the ceiling.
- There isn’t enough space to sit and have lunch in the deli.
- There will be a new seating area in the front of the store that will be dedicated to enjoying your meal with twice the seating as we have today plus more options outside when the weather is nice.
- PLEASE get the smaller shopping carts.
- The additional space, new style of register will allow us to utilize smaller shopping cart as well as a larger option for the big shops.
We will be updating the community on all things related to the project on this page.
Jacob and Jason Linnes
Want to stay updated on all things going on at Orcas Island Market, including our remodeling progress? Fill out your information below and tell us what you are interested in and we will get you added!